CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Deep-End of Faith

"I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. No, [friend], I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us" (Philippians 3:12-14, New Living Translation).

Have you ever wanted to take an eraser and wipe away all the mistakes you've made? Or thought to yourself, "I wish I hadn't done that" or "if only I thought about this before doing that."  We've all had those thoughts as we've navigated this life. But what happens when we get stuck in all the "what ifs" rather than using those experiences to better ourselves for our future? What happens when we can't let go of past mistakes, failures, setbacks, or actions that have perhaps even hurt others? For one, we go nowhere. We stay stuck. And, should we never find a way to get beyond looking in our rear view mirror, we'll never take hold of the beautiful experiences waiting ahead.  I don't know about you, but I don't want to live my life from that point of view, always living in the past, allowing my defeats to take control over where my journey leads. No, I want to live beyond the failures, beyond the what-ifs, beyond feeling sorry for myself over mistakes or choices I've made that I cannot change.

In Philippians 3:12-14, Paul admitted that he wasn't perfect but no matter that detail, he was determined to forget the past and focus on his future by pressing on and running a good race. If you know anything about Paul, you might wonder how he was able to do this. You see, Paul was a Pharisee, not just any run-of-the-mill Pharisee, but one who was ruthless, strict, and murderous and whose main objective was to kill and humiliate Christians. He persecuted the church and even saw and approved of the stoning of Stephen (Acts 8:1, NLT). Yet, after his conversion, which by the way was so profound that he is now one of the most referenced and highly favored persons of the Bible, Paul knew that it did him no good to continue remembering his past. His life is a reminder to us that God wastes nothing.  If we let Him, God works everything together for our good.  Paul's mistakes after all led him to his faith in Jesus Christ. Did you catch that? His ruthless acts led him to redemption. He was a murderer but God stopped him on his journey to Damascus and radically saved him. Saved him.

Saved a murderer?  Yes.  All our experiences, choices, hardships, missed opportunities, failed attempts, broken relationships, suffering, pain induced, pain endured, offenses, or any other thing I've missed doesn't make us any less appealing to God.   God has a plan for every person's life, just like He did for Paul even though Paul did despicable things. Now, I'm not saying you're despicable or judging your deeds, but what I am saying is this: there isn't anything you've done in your past that changed God's love for you then or His love for you today.  Every day another piece of God's plan is unfolding in your life.

Today you are on God's heart. He is thinking about you. Working on your behalf to make a better future for you. Is everything perfect? No. Are you still experiencing a hardship? Maybe. But all of it, every circumstance that surrounds your life deepens your faith and is a bridge linking your trust and faith to God.  Those heartaches teach you how to trust God. They take you to the deep-end of your faith. That's where I want to be. Not in the shallow end of my faith that is safe and where I tend to lean on my own abilities to get me through. No. I want to be in the deep-end of my faith, in the middle of the ocean, where I can't touch the bottom, where I have to completely trust God to sustain me in an impossible situation.  In that place, I will see the hand of God move on my behalf.  In that place, God receives the glory alone.  In that place, I grow stronger in my faith.

Paul didn't have all of this figured out, and neither do I. I don't always understand why God uses certain situations or why I have to walk through tough spots to increase my faith and to learn to trust God. I mean, certainly I have an idea but if I had my way I'd make an easier time of it. Nonetheless, let's not forget that even though we haven't "arrived" yet nor do we have everything figured out, like Paul, we should set our focus on these things: forget the past. Look forward to the future. Press on to reach the end of the race. And finally, (this is the good part) receive the heavenly prize from God, Himself through our faith in Jesus Christ.

Prayer Focus


Father-God, I lift up Your name today because You are a good God.  A loving God.  A faithful God.  The one true God.  There is no other God like You under heaven and earth.  You made me before I was in my mother's womb.  You fashioned me together with Your powerful hand.  You breathed life into my being.  I am because You spoke me into existence.  As I think on these things, I think about those reading my thoughts today:  the ones who are broken hearted over unmet expectations or unfulfilled dreams.  The ones who are walking through financial difficulties or trying to mend broken relationships.  Father, I ask on their behalf that You would surround them with Your presence today.  That change and relief would come quickly to their situation.  That they would increase in their faith and understanding of Your word and Your character.  That they would be courageous and strong to fight the good fight.  Oh Father, please I pray that You will meet their needs and heal their wounds and help them to forget the past, look forward to the future, press on in the race to make a good finish, and ultimately receive the heavenly prize You have waiting for those in Christ Jesus.  I pray these things in the might name of Jesus, Amen.

Take Aways


1.  Let go of past hurts.  When a thought comes to mind that touches a wounded place in your life, stop and give that hurt over to the Lord.  Your prayer might be: "Father, this person hurt me.  Please forgive me for holding on to any unforgiveness.  Please forgive them for any wrong doing.  Please heal my heart so I can be free.  I release this hurt to you.  I release forgiveness to them.  In Jesus Name, Amen."  Every time this hurt presents itself to you or is triggered by some event, repeat this step over and over until you feel a release from the pain and hurt experienced.

2.  Pray for the one who wounded you.   You'd be surprised at how quickly your heart heals from a hurt when you continually pray earnestly for the person who offended you.  How can we hold onto offense when we are in the presence of God?  This is why the Word says in Luke 6:28, "Bless those who curse you.  Pray for those who hurt you" (NLT).

3.  Ask God what lesson He is trying to teach you through your difficult time.  This is a good question to ask Him in any life circumstance.  Trust that He'll give you the answer you are seeking.

Scripture Verses to Remember


"I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. No, [friend], I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us" (Philippians 3:12-14, NLT).

"Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you" (Luke 6:28, NLT).

"For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope" (Jeremiah 29:11, NLT).

2 comments:

  1. God's Grace is amazing isn't it! Good word Dori

    Blessings
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shari,
    Yes, His Grace is beautiful!
    Dori

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I look forward to reading what you have to say. God bless you! Dori