CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Our Son Judah | The Pond Incident

Saturday my husband and I took our boys, Asaiah and Judah, to Blackberry Farm.  The weather outside was the most beautiful we've enjoyed during this time of year.  We took a train ride, rode on the tracker, and Ryan and Asaiah rode the merry-go-round a couple of times. 


When we sat on the tractor for our ride around the lake, Ryan was holding Judah.  Judah was relaxing in Ryan's arms, resting his head on Ryan's chest.  Ryan looked over at me and whispered, "This is the life."  I certainly agreed with him.  Doing anything with our boys and spending time together as a family always warms my heart.  Life seemed as it should be.  Little did I know that in just a few hours we would experience a horrific event that would take us to our knees in thanksgiving to our great God. 


I think after the long day at the farm, we were all tired.  I was feeling it particularly and was looking forward to arriving at Grandpa's house.  He invited us for a cook-out and a camp fire.  Perfect ending to what was turning out to be a perfect day.  I love his backyard.  It is one of the most peaceful places I know.  He takes meticulous care of the plants and flowers surrounding his yard.  He has a garden that is wonderful to gaze upon.  One of the best attractions in his backyard is his man-made pond, with a flowing waterfall. It isn't too large but big enough for about 10 fish and other wildlife like frogs, squirrels, and other animals to enjoy.  The depth is about 5 ft, I'm guessing.


When we arrived at his house, we immediately gravitated to the backyard.  My brother-in-law, Kelvin, was out there, too.  Ryan and Asaiah started playing soccer, while Judah just began exploring all the wonderful things he could find in the yard.  Grandpa was making a butternut squash soup, which I wanted to check out.  I felt comfortable leaving for a moment while Judah and Asaiah played with their dad.  When I was inside, I saw Kelvin at the edge of the pond with Judah.  He had his arm around Judah's waist.  They were taking a moment to watch the fish.  I was relieved to see Kelvin over there with him.  I went back to the conversation with Grandpa about the soup.  A moment later, Kelvin walked inside.  I asked Kelvin who had Judah.  I felt in my spirit that I needed to go outside to find Judah to make sure he was safe.


I stepped into the sun-room just about to head outside.  What I saw  through the window was almost unbelievable.  It was like I was watching one of those silly cartoons where you might see the blur of one of those characters running to something.  That's what it looked like when I saw a blur of Ryan running so fast towards the pond.  I quickly ran there too.  Just as I rounded the corner, I heard a huge splash.  My heart started pounding.  I ran fast towards the noise.  Ryan was in the pond pulling Judah from the water.  As I write this, I get chills up and down my arms as I relive the scene in my mind.  When Ryan pushed Judah out of the water, Judah's eyes were closed.  He looked a bit pale.  I didn't see any expression in his face.  I heard myself crying out Ryan's name, "Ryan!  Ryan!  Ryan!" And in my heart, I was crying out to God, "No!, No! No!"


The scene was so hurried that I can't even remember how Ryan got out of the pond while holding Judah in his arms.  A few minutes later, I heard Judah gurgle out some words.  He was moaning a little, very shaken, very scared.  Both Ryan and Judah were soaking wet.  I put my arms around them thanking God that Judah was OK.  After the scene settled down, I was able to speak with Ryan about what happened. 


He said that he thought Kelvin was with Judah so he went back to playing soccer with Asaiah.  Not a minute later Ryan heard a splash--Judah falling in the pond.  When he reached Judah, Judah was lying face down in the water, just floating there.  He didn't think at all, just jumped in to grab him.


It took me a few minutes to compose myself.  I could hardly believe what just happened to my sweet Judah.  I started thinking about my child.  My 17 month old--the mess maker, adventure-seeker.  He is a loveable, endearing boy.  Full of smiles and joy.  He is hilarious.  He usually finds trouble before the day begins. 


To say he is strong-willed would be an understatement.  He is confident and very social.  He loves to dramatize everything through his loud outbursts and funny expressions.  I love him so much--my blue-eyed boy.


He is delightful in many unique ways.  He gives me a run for my money.  Such a busy child.  Just a little humor here as an afterthought, but when I think about him floating face down, all I can imagine is this child thinking that he would take advantage of the time he has to watch the fish first hand while he waits for someone to rescue him.  He is just that kind of boy.  Like "what's all the fuss about guys??"  


Of course as I recall these details, I am sobered by the possibility that this situation could have turned out much worse.  I remember thinking that I couldn't live life without him.  When I held him after Ryan rescued him from the pond, I squeezed him close.  All the small things that I've lamented over about him seemed so insignificant in that moment.  Our son Judah is a beautiful gift from God.  We are so thankful that God has His hand on Judah's life.  I couldn't stop thanking God for His divine intervention. 


We love you little buddy! 







2 comments:

  1. little champion's first swimming lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Judah, Judah...one of your many 'firsts' in a lifetime of adventure ahead. Indeed, just reading your story through your mommy's eyes took my breath away! "There is no one like the God of Judah, who rides on the heavens to help you...underneath are the everlasting arms." (Deuteronomy 33:26,27) What a powerful picture Ryan of our heavenly Father running to rescue and save His child!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I look forward to reading what you have to say. God bless you! Dori