CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Teachable Moments with My Five Year Old

Its been a while since I've shared stories about my boys.  This past week, I had a special moment with my five year old son Asaiah.  Actually, I have special moments with him frequently but the one evening we shared a few nights ago just stole my heart.

I often tell Asaiah a made up story from "my head" as he calls it.  He likes the stories that I make up more than he likes for me to read books.  Well, honestly, he tricks me into doing both. 

Anyway, a few nights ago, I laid in bed with him after we read a book.  He said, "Mommy, tell me a story from your head.  Then when you are done, we will talk, ok?"  Asaiah always has a plan in mind.  When he wants to do something, he likes to plan each step so that you are on the same page with him.  He is very much like his dad in that regard. 

I proceeded to tell him the story.  When I finished, he wanted to talk (of course he did, what kid wants to sleep??).  We got to talking about lots of things, but at the end, it was time to pray.  I asked him to pray for me.  I told him that my prayer is that I would be a good mom and a good wife.  In Asaiah-fashion, he said, "Ok Mommy, listen, if you want to be those things, you have to do this." 

He instructed me to lay on my back along side him.  He put his hands over his heart and told me to do the same.  Then he gently released his hands from his heart and raised them to the ceiling.  With a tender, hushed voice, he said, "Mommy if you want to be those things (as he is doing the motion I described), you have to give your heart to God.  Just give it to God."

Ahhh, out of the mouths of babes.  My heart was so warmed by his instruction.  From my point of view, what he was telling me was that I needed to release my desires to God and let Him help me.  Asaiah had it right.   

Today I am thinking about that moment with Asaiah because this morning I needed extra prayer to stay encouraged.  Ryan and I continue to wait on the Lord to move in an area that we've been praying over for a long time.  I believe the Lord gives me moments with Asaiah like the one I shared because they are life-lines and reminders to me to hang on.  My goodness, if a five year old boy gets it, surely I can too, right? 

Asaiah Asher Price.  A sweet boy.  A smart five year old boy stepping out in faith to encourage his mom.  I am thankful for my miracle child who is a reminder to me that God is the good gift giver.  He doesn't withhold any good thing from us.  He is present even when we don't feel Him.  He is working even when we think our time has past.  He never abandons us; He completes His work to perfection in our life.  If you need a boost today, remember my son's action: put your hands over your heart, pray, and then give it over to God.  He will help.

Thanks for reading my thoughts today.

Grace and peace,
Dori

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I look forward to reading what you have to say. God bless you! Dori